I have been meaning to post some stuff from the 3D-course im at, for some time now. And so, this is it. At the course we are working towards a final project, this being a stillshot made all in 3D. So we started from the bottom, developing a concept and a character.
We had a british teacher, Julia, who has been working with Nickelodeon and Warner Brothers, who tort us how to develop a character from a idea to a concept and further on to a maquette.
My original idea, for the project, was that I wanted to do a robot made out of music instruments. For one part because I love making robots, another part because I think music instruments look totally badass! So, she asked if I had any previous experience with drawing instruments or generally knew something about music and instruments. And I have and did - at the same time this picture came to my mind.
It was a musicthemed catsuited villainess and her two partners in crime, which I did quiet some time ago.
My teacher got very fascinated with the two music-animals and asked if I would be interested in doing something like that instead of a robot, for my project. I felt good about it, so it was a natural yes.
I started doing a lot of reseach, finding different instruments and started doing collages with them to find out what kind of music-animal I was going for.
So, as I looked through the different animals, I found that I really liked the fox-type character in the top left corner, the grasshopper-like creature at the middle right and the frog like animal in the bottom left.
I tried to draw the characters, that I liked, from other angles and not as flat as the collage in order to see if they were capable material for 3D-modeling.
The design, I ended up continuing with, was the very last one on the right. The Jazz-hound with the piano grin.
And so our class started doing our maquettes (sculptures made from clay - a method that are also used at Pixar, Dreamworks and other big 3D-companies in order to give the 3D-modelers a solid object to relate their digital sculpting to.) The following pictures shows the development from skeleton (pro-term; "amateur") to finished sculpture:
Aaand thats it for now - yearh, very analog 3D so far, but we will get there in the next update. There will also be a couple of detail shots from the maquette.
You can click any of the pictures to enlarge and please leave a comment if you have any constructive criticism.
Over'n'out - Bjørn