tirsdag den 5. oktober 2010

Mega 3D-update! - operation Jazz-Hound


I have been meaning to post some stuff from the 3D-course im at, for some time now. And so, this is it. At the course we are working towards a final project, this being a stillshot made all in 3D. So we started from the bottom, developing a concept and a character.
We had a british teacher, Julia, who has been working with Nickelodeon and Warner Brothers, who tort us how to develop a character from a idea to a concept and further on to a maquette.

My original idea, for the project, was that I wanted to do a robot made out of music instruments. For one part because I love making robots, another part because I think music instruments look totally badass! So, she asked if I had any previous experience with drawing instruments or generally knew something about music and instruments. And I have and did - at the same time this picture came to my mind.
For bigger version, click here.

It was a musicthemed catsuited villainess and her two partners in crime, which I did quiet some time ago.
My teacher got very fascinated with the two music-animals and asked if I would be interested in doing something like that instead of a robot, for my project. I felt good about it, so it was a natural yes.
I started doing a lot of reseach, finding different instruments and started doing collages with them to find out what kind of music-animal I was going for.

For bigger version, click here.

So, as I looked through the different animals, I found that I really liked the fox-type character in the top left corner, the grasshopper-like creature at the middle right and the frog like animal in the bottom left.
I tried to draw the characters, that I liked, from other angles and not as flat as the collage in order to see if they were capable material for 3D-modeling.

For bigger version, click here.

For bigger version, click here.

The design, I ended up continuing with, was the very last one on the right. The Jazz-hound with the piano grin.
And so our class started doing our maquettes (sculptures made from clay - a method that are also used at Pixar, Dreamworks and other big 3D-companies in order to give the 3D-modelers a solid object to relate their digital sculpting to.) The following pictures shows the development from skeleton (pro-term; "amateur") to finished sculpture:

For bigger version, click here.

Aaand thats it for now - yearh, very analog 3D so far, but we will get there in the next update. There will also be a couple of detail shots from the maquette.
You can click any of the pictures to enlarge and please leave a comment if you have any constructive criticism.

Over'n'out - Bjørn

1 kommentar:

  1. Hej Bjørn..

    Hold da helt op hvor er du ved at være dygtig..
    Du forbløffer mig virkelig og det er kun positivt.. Er totalt glad for at du har fundet din niche og at du er så god.. Har altid vidst at du var god, men ikke at du kunne udvikle dig så meget på så kort tid.. Du skal nok komme langt min ven!

    Håber vi ses inden for en nær fremtid:)
    Knus Kamilla (Rosborg)

    SvarSlet